No invention has changed the world identical to a printing press. Initially developed in China and later commercialized in Europe by Johannes Gutenberg in the 15th century, the printing press printed the society via mass manufacturing of the printed word. Nowadays, an organization working in Western Poland has developed a manufacturing process that aims to make an analogous revolutionary impact. But as an alternative of printing textual content, XTPL has developed a manufacturing method that can be used to print electronics. XTPL know-how produces buildings which might be incredibly small, several hundred occasions thinner than human hair. The truth is, XTPL stands for "very thin printed lines", which are named for the appearance of the electrodes produced by the company's first patented manufacturing course of. At present, XTPL printing know-how and nano-gels are succesful of producing conductive and non-conductive buildings with individual micrometers, anyplace from 1 to 8 micrometers. These buildings can then be used to develop semiconductors, transparent movies, and to make exact corrections in every type of electronics manufacturing. As the printing press helped to scale back production costs and improve access to the written phrase, printed electronics and their elements can even scale back production costs and create alternatives for brand spanking new merchandise.
I am in touch Dr. Filip Granekiin, XTPL's CEO and founder study a bit more about the firm and the journey. The subsequent interview was changed barely for the sake of size and readability
- 1 Hi Dr. Granek, thanks for talking to us about XTPL. Let's start by talking slightly about beginning a enterprise. When did you determine to apply your technical information to construct XTPL?
- 2 What have been the unique technical limitations that the workforce had to convey to the market to convey the XTPL answer to market? What makes your answer distinctive?
- 3 What does the XTPL know-how market seem like? in the subject of printed electronics, e.g. semiconductors, sensible glass, advanced circuit boards, counterfeiting or biosensors. The primary focus is presently on the flat panel show market. Right here, we’ve already proven our know-how to have critical competitive benefits. We’re open to collaborating with display system producers and the display producers themselves to provide a high-performance industrial answer. What are the challenges of flat panel manufacturing which you could help overcome? How have you learnt that this was an important drawback – and that the new printing answer was the method to go?
- 4 backed the company thus far? Why did you determine to proceed this route over options?
- 5 Where are XTPL Printheads Built? What are the elements you retain working with producers?
- 6 XTPL's headquarters are situated in Wrocław. Might you tell us just a little about the know-how ecosystem?
- 7 What is your approach to the founder, which is the key lesson I discovered alongside the method?
- 8 What's subsequent on XTPL? What else should you understand on the horizon for you and the staff?
- 9 Thanks to Dr. Granek for sharing XTPL with Tech.eu!
Hi Dr. Granek, thanks for talking to us about XTPL. Let's start by talking slightly about beginning a enterprise. When did you determine to apply your technical information to construct XTPL?
At first, I asked myself the question: "What can I change to implement breakthrough technology in the global market?" I was aware of the monumental potential and the actual impression that trendy scientific achievements might have on the lives of the majority of the world. I took half in creating breakthrough options like a scientist earlier than I started my very own know-how company. At the similar time as the scientist, I noticed the limitations that I had placed on my current position. These points have led to the conclusion that a long-term, revolutionary venture for international implementation is just potential in my very own company, which runs on the interface between science and enterprise.
XTPL is a four-year-old company established in Wrocław, one of Poland's largest cities. We’re a know-how company that has developed a singular strategy to printing totally different supplies. Our imaginative and prescient is that printing – the manufacture of components – will probably be the key, reworking know-how for many high-tech industries. The fashionable electronics sector now has a robust tendency to produce high-tech units with cost-effective and scalable strategies. We consider that our answer might convey an actual technological revolution. This process might be in contrast to an earlier revolution that was due to the invention of a printing press in the 15th century. Though the books have been round three,000 years in the past, they have been rare and troublesome to produce till Gutenberg built this – then breakthrough – gadget. Earlier than this textual content and Illustrations have been made by hand in a time-consuming process, only the wealthy can guide them. However in a number of many years, Gutenberg's innovation spread and then turned normal.
The XTPL vision consists of the use of conventional printing benefits, corresponding to scalability, value, simplicity and velocity, in the manufacturing of advanced, high-tech units. Our know-how responds to the wants of the market to proceed with miniaturization while offering an economical and scalable technique. We consider that books and newspapers immediately might be printed simply as easily and cheaply that quickly you’ll be able to print show, semiconductor or clever glass parts.
For this to occur, you need far more advanced printing know-how than it’s as we speak. That's how XTPL brings to the desk the means to print buildings lots of of occasions smaller than the present printing applied sciences
What have been the unique technical limitations that the workforce had to convey to the market to convey the XTPL answer to market? What makes your answer distinctive?
Many industries are already calling and challenging us to face the particular technical problems they have to clear up in order to move their merchandise forward. We do these challenges every time we optimize and calibrate our know-how – printing heads and nano-nails – to modify them to particular necessities. Our power is to persistently utilize our unmistakable set of expertise, including in the subject of know-how. In our teams, chemists, electronics engineers, physicists, supplies technicians, mechanics and IT specialists work together.
At the similar time, we don’t need to be single-level, closed in the laboratory. We all know that as pioneers we are implementing new solutions in the international market, but to obtain this we’d like to build a certain awareness. XTPL know-how has one primary advantage – it is groundbreaking and subsequently has the potential to substitute current, pricey and inefficient options.
At present obtainable printing strategies have benefits and drawbacks, but XTPL know-how presents a singular set of options that help overcome the actual challenges in lots of industries. What makes the XTPL answer unique is its unparalleled accuracy and versatility. This annoying answer works on most conductive and non-conductive platforms, each flat and a couple of.5D, similar to glass, silicon wafers, capton, PEN, PC, PDMS, PET. It could actually present straight strains in addition to patterns and microchips. Our technique allows the printing of a number of out there materials: conductive inks, nanoparticle based mostly suspensions, semiconductor suspensions, insulating inks, resistors, solvent-based inks and biological materials. So as to achieve wonderful leads to XTPL, we create our own nanoink formulation based mostly primarily on metallic nanoparticles and semiconductors